The Canadian Produce Marketing Association (CPMA) has officially launched the CPMA Waste Efficiency Tool. Developed collaboratively with Value Chain Management International (VCMI), the online resource provides businesses with a proven means to generate high returns on investment (ROI) by addressing waste and recurring procedural problems in a structured manner.
Businesses having already used the tool have improved their bottom line by at least 10 per cent.
Presented in 14 easy-to-navigate steps, the resource contains clearly understandable processes and techniques that are most commonly used at the start of a continuous process improvement initiative. Examples of inefficiencies that the tool helps to address include food waste (products/produce), equipment failure, lost production, energy, labour, packaging, transportation and more.
Outcomes achieved by businesses that have completed the online resource include:
- Reduced labour costs – by having implemented more effective daily management systems;
- Reduced transport costs – by having modified transportation routes and protocols;
- Reduced input costs – by having lessened the occurrence of wasted or damaged products;
- Increased revenue – by having accessed new markets or increased sales in current markets; and
- Increased margins – by having improved the consistency and predictability of product quality.
The CPMA Waste Efficiency Tool is exclusively available to CPMA members. Members can register to access the tool at efficiency.cpma.ca. Non-member companies interested in accessing the tool can learn more about CPMA membership at cpma.ca/membership.
Source: Canadian Produce Marketing Association January 15, 2020 news release