Katie and Phil Keddy of Charles Keddy Farms Ltd, Lakeville, Nova Scotia are the deserving winners of the 2020 Atlantic Outstanding Young Farmers award. The strawberry and sweet potato growers will be headed to the national championships in Saskatoon from December 2-6.
Canada’s Outstanding Young Farmers Program recognizes young farmers who exemplify excellence in their profession. Eligible nominees must be farm operators between 18 and 39 who derive a minimum of two-thirds of their income from their farm operations. Honourees are recognized for their achievements and judged by a distinguished panel of judges using the following criteria:
- Progress made during their farming career
- Maximum use of soil, water and energy conservation practices
- Crop and livestock production history
- Financial and management practices
- Contributions to the well-being of the community, province and nation